For this assessment, you may choose from the following options as the subject of a root-cause analysis and safety improvement plan:
- The specific safety concern identified in your previous assessment.
- The Vila Health: Root-Cause Analysis and Safety Improvement Planning simulation.
- One of the case studies from the previous assessment.
- A personal practice experience in which a sentinel event occurred.
The purpose of this assessment is to demonstrate your understanding of and ability to analyze a root cause of a specific safety concern in a health care setting. You will create a plan to improve the safety of patients related to the concern based on the results of your analysis, using the literature and professional best practices as well as the existing resources at your chosen health care setting to provide a rationale for your plan.
Use the Root-Cause Analysis and Improvement Plan Template [DOCX] to help you to stay organized and concise.
Additionally, be sure that your plan addresses the following, which corresponds to the grading criteria in the scoring guide. Please study the scoring guide carefully so you understand what is needed for a distinguished score.
- Analyze the root cause of a patient safety issue or a specific sentinel event in an organization.
- Apply evidence-based and best-practice strategies to address the safety issue or sentinel event.
- Identify organizational resources that could be leveraged to improve your plan.
- Create a feasible, evidence-based safety improvement plan.
- Communicate in writing that is clear, logical, and professional, with correct grammar and spelling, using current APA style.
- Length of submission: Use the provided template to create a 4–6 page root cause analysis and safety improvement plan. A title page is not required but you must include a reference list as per the template.
- Number of references: Cite a minimum of 3 sources of scholarly or professional evidence that support your findings and considerations. Resources should be no more than 5 years old.
- APA formatting: Format references and citations according to current APA style.