COM510 Strayer University Week 4 Strategic Communications Plan
STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS PLAN Due Week 4, worth 150 points The ability to effectively communicate is one of the most in demand and sought after skills in today’s workforce. As a business professional, you will be expected to not only communicate in a clear and concise way, but to do so strategically. These communication skills are necessary to manage personnel effectively and to drive your organization toward its strategic goals and outcomes. Effective communication starts with planning. By developing a strategic communications plan you will be more intentional in your messages and the actions you ask of your audience. This plan is the foundation for Assignments 2 and 3.
INSTRUCTIONS Create a written strategic communications plan for the professional communication challenge or opportunity of your choice. Your plan should include the following components and may be written in a professional report format. See the formatting requirements for additional information.
1. Description a) What is your challenge or opportunity? b) Why is this professionally important to you?
2. Goal a) What goal or outcome do you want to achieve with this communication? i. Is it clear, concise, and actionable?
3. Audience a) Who is your target audience? i. What are the professional positions of the audience members? ii. What demographic characteristics will the audience comprise? iii. What is your relationship to the audience? iv. What background knowledge and expertise does the audience have? v. What does the audience know, feel about, and expect concerning this communication? vi. What preconceptions or biases do you possess that might prevent you from building rapport with your audience? b) What information is available about your audience? i. What research/sources will you use to obtain information about the audience? ii. What conclusions have you been able to draw about the audience? c) What tone will you use to convey your message? i. Is the setting casual or formal? ii. Is the communication personal or impersonal?
4. Key Message a) What is the primary message you must convey to your audience? i. Is the message compelling and memorable? ii. Is the message clear and concise? iii. Is the message aligned with your audience’s goals and needs?
5. Supporting Points a) What three to four points, reasons, or justifications support your message? i. What research/sources will you use to obtain facts/data about your message?
6. Channel Selection a) What communication style will you employ (Tell/Sell or Consult/Join), and why? b) What channel(s) will you use to deliver your message, and why will they be the most effective? c) What purpose is served by each channel you have selected?
7. Action Request a) Is your call to action you are making to your audience clear, concise, and easily actionable?
Note: You may create and establish all necessary assumptions needed for the completion of this assignment. The scenario is yours to explain.