1. How has Xi Jinping changed or manipulated the political system for his own ends, according to Gueorguiev?
2. What ramifications do these changes have for the future of elite-run politics, and politics in general, in China?
3. Why is the environmental policy process in China different from the norm in other states?
4. What happened to create what Chen and Lees call “Authoritarian Environmentalism” in China? How is this manifested through the new green urbanization initiatives?
5. What do both of these articles tell us more generally about the role of the state in China, and its strengths and weaknesses?