Write answers in a word document:
- What are the essential ingredients of a symmetric cipher?
- What are the two basic functions used in encryption algorithms?
- How many keys are required for two people to communicate via a symmetric cipher?
- What is the difference between a block cipher and a stream cipher?
- What are the two general approaches to attacking a cipher?
- Why do some block cipher modes of operation only use encryption while others use both encryption and decryption?
- What is triple encryption?
- Why is the middle portion of 3DES a decryption rather than an encryption?