Prior to beginning this assignment, consider that Messer, Patten, and Candela (2016) provides a helpful summary of life course theory on pages seven through eight. Also, note that Salvatore (2017) provides a helpful summary of life course theory on pages one through two. In addition, consider pages 697–698 in Zoutewelle-Terovan and Skardhamar’s (2016) article which provides helpful summaries of criminological theories. Review information in the Wright (2012) text on processes for law enforcement, the judiciary, and corrections. Finally, review the web-based materials FBI: Uniform Crime Reporting (Links to an external site.) and National Institute of Justice (Links to an external site.), which support this assignment in for this week.
In this assignment, you will explore a criminal justice issue and an associated criminal justice process. You will also consider an application for criminology that is relevant to that criminal justice issue.
This assignment consists of two parts: researching a criminal justice issue using the Ashford University Library’s database of scholarly journal articles and exploring the issue through the appointed prompts.
We are happy to announce an innovative new feature in this course named, “Q for Success.” Q for Success is free to use, and gives you access to academic resources where and when you need them most. You can link to the Library, tutoring services, writing guides, TurnitIn, Grammarly, or other supports right from your Word document.
Q for Success is an application that runs within Microsoft Word. After following a simple registration, you will enjoy having essential resources available to you within MS Word at all times. Access the Guide to Installing and Using Q (Links to an external site.) to help you get started with this exciting support tool.
And remember, Q for Success is optional. You can always access the library and all other usual resources in exactly the same way as you have in the past by using the Canvas left navigation. Give Q for Success a try, and let us know what you think.
This assignment consists of two parts: Researching a criminal justice issue using the Ashford University Library’s database of scholarly journal articles and exploring the issue through the appointed prompts.
Researching a Criminal Justice Issue
- Choose one article from a scholarly or credible (see Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table for an explanation of each type of resource) source published within the past five years that addresses a criminal justice issue in law enforcement, the judiciary, or corrections, relevant to one of the following areas: poverty, unemployment, education, or illegal drug use.
To find an article from the Ashford Library, please follow these steps:
Searching for an article from the Ashford Library u
*Note: To access “Q” see the Guide to Installing and Using Q for Success.
- Once in the Q program, type in specific search terms to search for library sources on your topic.
- Click on Source to help narrow your search by type of source or database.
Searching the Ashford University Library using the Library Website
*Note: To access the Ashford University Library directly, click on the Writing Center and Library links in your left navigation. Watch the Database Search Tips (Links to an external site.) video for more and see Searching the Ashford University Library document for assignment-specific search tips.
- Click on the “advanced search” link located under the FindIt@AU search box
- In the first search box, type social justice
- In the second search box, type criminal justice
- In the third search box type one of the following: poverty, unemployment, education, or drugs.
- Scroll down to the “date published” limiter and adjust the search dates to include only the last 5 years
- Click the “search” button .
- Review your search results and select a library resource to analyze.
Summarizing the Issue and Processes. As you respond to the elements below, think about questions or issues addressed by the author(s) of the source that you select.
In your paper, drawing upon the article and/or other relevant scholarly or credible sources, address the following:
- Explain a criminal justice issue in law enforcement, the judiciary, or corrections, relevant to one of the following areas: poverty, unemployment, education, or illegal drug use.
- Describe at least one process for law enforcement, the judiciary, or corrections relevant to the criminal justice issue.
- Describe an application for criminology that is relevant to the criminal justice issue.
- To help you with this part, think about how a criminological theory could support a program or approach relevant to the criminal justice issue. For example, the article by Messer, Patten, and Candela (2016) relates life course theory to the use of drug courts.
- If the article that you choose addresses a theory in criminology, you may use the article to help you address this part of the assignment. If the article does not address criminology, then please use one of the following resources: Messer et al. (2016), pages 7–8; Salvatore (2017), pages 1–2; or Zoutewelle-Terovan and Skardhamar (2016), pages 697–698.
The Issues in Criminal Justice paper
- Must be a minimum of 500 words double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- Must use at least one scholarly or credible source published within the past five years in addition to the course text.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.) for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
Waypoint Assignment Submission
The assignments in this course will be submitted to Waypoint. Please refer to the instructions below to submit your assignment.
- Click on the Assignment Submission button below. The Waypoint “Student Dashboard” will open in a new browser window.
- Browse for your assignment.
- Click Upload.
- Confirm that your assignment was successfully submitted by viewing the appropriate week’s assignment tab in Waypoint.
For more detailed instructions, refer to the Waypoint Tutorial (Links to an external site.)
Do you need a similar assignment done for you from scratch? We have qualified writers to help you. We assure you an A+ quality paper that is free from plagiarism. Order now for an Amazing Discount!
Use Discount Code "Newclient" for a 15% Discount!
NB: We do not resell papers. Upon ordering, we do an original paper exclusively for you.