UPENN Oedipus Rex and Throne of Thebes Essay and Questions
First, give a brief plot summary that answers the following questions. This should take no more than one good paragraph:
- How does Oedipus ascend to the throne of Thebes, and what happens at the crossroads where three roads meet?
- What crimes does Teiresias know Oedipus is guilty of, and how does the king respond?
- What events lead up to his final exile?
Next, answer at least one of the following analysis/interpretation questions:
- In practical and philosophical terms, what is Oedipus trying to do by fleeing Corinth?
- How do the various plot details model irony? Give at least two examples.
- What lesson(s) would a Greek audience have drawn from the story?
****1000 word count***, 1” margins, double-spaced, 10/12 pt. type; Use an effective structure that carefully guides your reader from one idea to the next, and edit thoroughly so that sentences are readable and appropriate for an academic audience.
https://www.sas.upenn.edu/~cavitch/pdf-library/Yeats_Oedipus.pdfLinks to an external site.