Introduction to the Special Section: Toward a Dimensionally Based Taxonomy of Psychopathology
Assignment 2: Discussion: Diagnosing Mental Health
In this module, your study includes the origin, development, and symptoms of mental disorders, known as psychopathology.
To complete this activity, consider the readings of this module, the DSM and the following article:
- Introduction to the Special Section: Toward a Dimensionally Based Taxonomy of Psychopathology
Consider the complex relationship between mental and physical health, and societal treatment of each, then discuss the following:
- Why do you think receiving a diagnosis is sometimes perceived as a double-edged sword?
- Describe the three approaches to developing a diagnostic scheme (categorical, dimensional, and prototypical).
- Identify advantages and disadvantages of each approach.
- State your opinion on how each approach increases or decreases the stigma of mental illness.
- By the due date assigned, post your responses in a minimum of 300 words to this Discussion Area.
- Through the end of the module, respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts. While responding, compare the similarities and differences between what you have constructed and what your classmates have.
Discussion Grading Table Maximum Points Quality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment 16 Quality of responses to classmates 12 Frequency of responses to classmates 4 Reference to supporting readings and other materials 4 Language and grammar 4 Total: 40