Writing Assignment: Discuss a Legal/Ethical Issue
Write a paper based on a real court case involving a newspaper. You may not use Sullivan v. NYT, but all other cases are approved. Select one of the following terms to focus on.
- First Amendment
- Freedom of Information Act
- Invasion of privacy
- Copyright law
- First serial rights
- Simultaneous rights
- Privacy Protection Act
- Surreptitious reporting
Please find in a newspaper an actual documented court case or an article connected to one of the terms above. Use a search engine to find a plethora of this type of documented court case examples.
In your report, do the following.
- Examine the term you selected.
- Define the term and relate it to journalism and newspapers.
- Using your court case example, explain how this issue became a legal matter for that newspaper.
- Explore what could have been prevented, who won the case and why, and what this meant for future newspapers.
- Your paper should clearly explore the term you selected and its implications through the actual court case you examine.
- Your paper should be three pages long.
- Your paper should follow APA formatting.